Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Today Was A Fairytale

I woke up super early in the morning. I turned over to my left and saw my husband, still asleep. I turned over to my right, and saw my beautiful, 4 year old daughter, also sound asleep. Right before my husband and I had fallen asleep the night before, she had run in crying from a nightmare. So she had been allowed to sleep in her parent's bed which always kept her safe. With as little noise as possible, I crept out from the middle of the two of them and off the bed. I walked out of the bedroom, through the livingroom, and into the our small, cute kitchen. Toast with butter and jelly was my daughter's favorite breakfast meal (it was also cheap, so it was my favorite too). so I put some bread in the toaster. I started the coffee. (My husband and I used to be complete non coffee-drinkers. But years of working and raising a family had changed that.) I took the toast out and doctored it up the way she liked it. Luckily, my husband and I both liked it the same way. I placed all three of our meals of toast on the table for us. As I was pouring my daughter a glass of milk, my husband walked in carrying my daughter. I know that my husband is not a morning person, but he was smiling at my daughter and me anyway at 7 a.m. in the morning. She got down from her father's arms and and rushed to hug my legs and tell me good morning. I gave her a kiss on the forehead then placed her in her chair. As I was turning to pour our coffee, my husband caught my elbow and kissed me lightly and told me good morning as well. I gave him his mug of coffee and I grabbed mine and we sat down around my daughter at our small table. Then all three of us reached for each other's hands and my husband began to pray. My daughter's food hadn't been touched. She was young, but she knew the way things went for the most part. She knew to wait for daddy to pray. We finished praying and finished our breakfast. My husband went to the bedroom to get ready for work. My daughter and I got the plates together and put them in the sink. She loved being mommy's little helper. We continued cleaning the kitchen together until she realized that playing with her toys was more fun than being mommy's little helper. So I pressed on all by my lonesome. My husband came through the kitchen all ready to go. He gave me a kiss goodbye then went out the door. I shut and locked the door behind him, and watched him get in his car and drive away. I decided it was time to start on that project. I went to the basement and lugged out the big box. My daughter looked strangely at me when I brought some peices in the room. I began to assemble my project. It started looking better. And when my daughter realized what it was, she began squealing with delight. "Baby! Baby! Baby Boy! Baby! Baby! Baby Boy!," she sang as she danced around her small room that was about to get smaller. She continued to laugh and dance as I smiled and looked down at my overgrown belly with love....

No comments:

Post a Comment