Sunday, August 7, 2011

Take My Life

I didn't realize how little I had grown. I didn't realize how complacent I had become. Then we sang this song in church. It's a song that I've sung so many times, even learned it on the guitar, but have never been very impacted by it. Today, the words struck something in me.

"Take my life and let it be
consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days,
let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands and let them move
at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet and let them be
swift and beautiful for Thee.

Take my voice and let me sing
always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be
filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold
not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use
every power as You choose.

Here am I,
All of me.
Take my life,
It's all for Thee.

Take my will and make it Thine
it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart it is Thine own
it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord I pour
at Your feet its treasure store
Take myself and I will be
ever, only, all for Thee."

-Chris Tomlin

At first, I was singing it as I always have. Then I heard "Take my moments and my days, let them flow in ceaseless praise" and I thought to myself, "That's really good to remember. I should put that where I can see it when I wake up every day or something." Then, I started thinking, "Am I stupid? Do I think this is just a little happy, devotional song meant to inspire me?" I started actually understanding the words. Thinking on what they were actually saying! It's talking about sacrificing every single part of me to God's work! "Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful FOR THEE" "Take my lips and let them be filled with messages FOR THEE" I will not withhold ONE MITE of my silver and gold! Use my intellect, not for my own way in this world, but for every power as YOU choose. Take my will. Take my heart, it will be where you sit! Where you live! Where you reign! Take my love and pour it out at your feet! Take my self! I will be EVER, ONLY, ALL FOR THEE! I almost began crying right there during the song. I was so humbled and convicted.

We read a book called "Radical" by David Platt, as interns during this summer, so it's gotten me thinking on what radical christianity really means in my life. Now, I know what it means....

"I am not my own. My life is not my own. Take my hands and feet, my heart, my will. Use them for your glory. Take all my silver and gold. Take my intellect. Use it all for any and every power that YOU choose. Pour me out. Mold me. I will live FOR YOU and ONLY YOU. No one else will be my Savior. Nothing else will be my God. Let me never cease in praise to you. Here I am. All of me. Take my life, Lord! It's all for you! I will be ever, only, all FOR THEE!"

There are so many temptations. I could go on as if I have something to gain in this world. I could take control of my life, keep my intellect, and use my hands and feet for worldly pleasure......

But, I choose life in Jesus. And, I'm convinced, that this is the only way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment