Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Vegan in Shreveport? What?

Yes, I've been trying the vegan thing for this past July. I have learned so many things!


So, the first struggle I encountered was finances. And let me tell you the fear of losing all my money was real for me as i am a poor college student! I had always heard that being vegan was going to take a lot of commitment and a lot of $$$..... Well, I was right about the first part! For sure! But money has not been a huge issue throughout this thing. And let me tell you how it makes sense for me.

-Shopping for the seemingly, expensive fruit and vegetables seems to be canceled out by the weekly(ish) trip to the store for milk, eggs, and butter.

-Frozen and canned fruit and vegetables are perfectly acceptable.  They last longer than processed foods and dairy products with expiration dates.

-Soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk, and rice milk last longer than regular dairy milk. These things can also be found in Great Value brands (cheap!) and they are also canned versions which are also cheaper.

-Now, yes. There are several distinctly vegan ingredients out there that are hard to find and expensive when you find them. Some of those ingredients include tahini, nutritional yeast, argo powder, cashew/almond butter, tofu, etc. But, seriously, these type of ingredients are used in more advanced vegan recipes. They are all very good substitutions, but are not necessary for survival lol. If you want to be a gourmet vegan chef, please go for it! Just know that you don't have to :)

So secondly, the struggle with expectations.

-The first expectation I had was that I could just go to the store, stock up, and I would be set. There is SO much more to it than that. I am not going to lie to you. This requires a lot of research, self-control, and perseverance. I quickly discovered that I wasn't going to find everything I wanted at Walmart. The first trip, I came home with mushrooms, some soy milk, hummus, and tortillas. I had no idea what I was doing lol!

But, dont be discouraged after that first trip to the store! The first one will be a tad expensive and a tad disappointing. Put those mushrooms and black beans in a tortilla with some hummus, then get to researching! :P There are plenty of things you can find online, in other grocery stores in your area, and whatever whole foods stores are around you! :) We dont have an actual Whole Foods Store anywhere near Shreveport. We do have a couple, little cute grocery markets with natural selections. I shopped in those places, online, and I made a trip to the Whole Foods store in New Orleans when I was there :)

-The second expectation was that my extra weight was just going to fall off of me the minute I started. (Maybe if you're a guy or if you have a fast metabolism)  It requires work just like your average diet. You still have to exercise. And if you're serious about getting healthy, you have to accept a healthy mentality too.  There are lots of things that are vegan, but are not good for you. (soda, french fries (for the most part), most candy, chips, etc) It's okay if you have an occasional Dr. Pepper, but if you want to be healthy, you'll mostly stick with the water and multi-grain crackers (really tasty btw).

The last struggle I had was cravings!! Cravings everywhere!

I, honestly, didn't have that hard of a time giving up meat. Woo! It was the dairy that killed me. I've always been the type of person that will drink two tall glasses of straight milk for no reason. I also looooove cheese. All the gourmet cheeses! I could tell you all about them. Poor me lol.

I would find myself making a brilliant salad with, like, everything homemade! I was very excited!.... then I would think, "dang,,, just a little bit of feta cheese would be perfect with this." Lots of times, i had to tell myself no. But, if i was having a hard craving for something, I would just go ahead and put some feta cheese on the salad, or have a little piece of chocolate, etc.

I find that it is better to indulge a little rather than wait till you are OUT OF YOUR MIND and binge-eat on loads of chocolate (ladies, you know what i mean).


So, those are just some thoughts on the vegan thing. Mainly, I would encourage to not be too hard on yourself. If you slip up, it's not the end of the world. Just get back up and try again. If you eat a hamburger and all the terrible things one day, just start new the next day! Chin up! We'll get through this together! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment